Your browser is not enabled to support scripts.
Walking in the Yorkshire Coast and Countryside
The Mayfield, Seamer
Haven
We're here to help...
Need advice on where to stay?
Call our team on 01723 383636
or email us - it's what we're here for!
Sign up to our email newsletter...
Sign up to receive our
latest news and offers!
Our latest brochures...
View or request our latest brochures
Latest Events

Lebberston Market and Car Boot Sale

Popular seasonal market & car boot sale situated between Scarborough& Filey...  more...

Autumn Exhibition - 'Drawn to the Sea'

Turnstone Gallery at Sandsend is making the most of its coastal location with its latest exhibition ‘Drawn to the Sea’. It gives...  more...

Charity Christmas Card Sale

Annual Charity Christmas Card sale at Filey Methodist Church. Wide choice of designs and prices. Supporting a variety of nationa...  more...

Craft and Gift Fair

Craft and gift fair in the Cabaret Ballroom of the Grand Hotel supporting St Catherine’s Hospice, Scarborough Quality crafts and...  more...

Salsa Dance Class

Learn to dance Salsa every Wednesday. Expert tuition in a friendly atmosphere. Two left feet? No Partner? no problem! We can acc...  more...

Robin Hood’s Bay - Out & About

A view over Robin Hood's Bay.Perhaps one of the most popular, charming and picturesque fishing villages in the country, Robin Hood’s Bay lies six miles south of Whitby in North Yorkshire. The origins of the name are unknown but there are many speculations. Unfortunately there is no connection to the legendary outlaw and Robin Hood's Bay. The name does not appear in any records until Tudor times, although it is sometimes called ‘Baytown’. A mile to the south of the village are bronze age burial mounds called ‘Robin Hood’s Butts’. There are also signs that some Romans spent some time in the Bay, the Whitby Pannet Park Museum indicates that Ravenscar was once a Roman Signal Station.


Although fishing is no longer the main industry in Robin Hood’s Bay, in the 18th and 19th centuries the village thrived on it. In 1538 ‘Baytown’ grew in size when many people from the inland village of ‘Raw’ moved down to the coast as a Danish invasion was no longer imminent. In fact Robin Hood’s Bay was a more prosperous and important fishing centre than Whitby. In the 1820s there were 130 fishermen sailing 35 cobles and 5 large herring boats, the community was continuously expanding. The women and boys were also kept busy, women baited lines and barrelled fish for market, while the boys mended nets and made the lobster pots. Unfortunately in 1920 there were only two fishing families left in ‘Baytown’, lack of harbour facilities prevented the Bay from becoming a viable port and the industry declined. Today the interest in fishing is reviving with Robin Hood’s Bay being one of the best crab grounds on the north coast.


Prosperity in the 18th and 19th century in merchant shipping grew and the village was renowned for the quality of its young seamen. The Royal Navy however had to send ‘press gangs’ to recruit seamen. The women of the village drove them out with pans and rolling pins while their men hid.


Smuggling in the 18th and 19th century was rife and nowhere more so than Robin Hood’s Bay. It was an ideal location because of the natural isolation of the bay. A lot of the smuggling was financed by local squires and although the risk was hanging, it was thought the perks were worth it. In 1856 the coastguards were given the responsibility of catching the smugglers. Robin Hood’s Bay was a tough assignment for the Whitby based excisemen and dragoons were brought in to assist. Houses and inns in the bay are said to have connecting cellars and cupboards, it was said that ‘a bale of silk could pass from the bottom of the village to the top without seeing daylight’. The illicit trade of smuggling died out as a result of the reduction of trade duties rather than the determination of the excisemen.


In 1780 disaster struck in the Bay, fierce gales and the strong sea caused many of the cottages along King Street to fall into the tide. Again in 1791, part of Park Road disappeared into the sea, over a century later a strong sea wall was built. In 1975, at the cost of £578,000, the highest sea wall in Britain, measuring 500 feet long and 40 feet high, was constructed ensuring no more of the old Robin Hood’s Bay was taken to its grave by the ever faithful sea.


Wrecks were very common in the early days. One memorable night in 1881, a large brig ‘Visitor’ was run aground. The sea was so rough the lifeboat had to be dragged eight miles in the snow to Robin Hood’s Bay to be launched. The whole crew of the ‘Visitor’ were saved thanks to the people of the village.

 

We also have more information about Robin Hood's Bay and Robin Hood's Bay Beach as well as Attractions and Information & Churches nearby.

 

It is a village of two halves, the upper part level and Victorian but the lower, older fishing village has quaint red-roofed cottages perched on the side of the cliff and jostling for space.

 

Nearby is the Robin Hood's Bay and Fylingdales Museum and the easy walk along the beach or cliff path to Boggle Hole and back. Once a haunt of smugglers the Bay is a well known location for fossil hunting and the study of marine life and at low tide the great expanse of scars (rock out crops) are clearly visible.

 
The beach has been regularly awarded the ENCAMS Seaside Award and will be flying the distinctive blue and yellow flag if appropriate.
 
Robin Hoods Bay is clearly not from the age of the motor vehicle, with many of the streets being little more than cobbled walkways.


As you walk through the narrow cobbled streets and alleyways, soak up some of the atmosphere of those ‘bygone days’ when sailors, fishermen, smugglers and press gangs roamed these very streets.

 

Remember, one visit is never enough – you will be back…

 

There is a regular bus service through this village, bus number 93/X93.

 

 

Return to the map

Scarborough Borough Council website
Welcome to Yorkshire website